2020 SCEDA Legislative and Public Policy Priorities
Agenda Item: Continuation of Angel Investor Tax Credit to promote investment in high impact small businesses.
- Support legislation that extends the current December 31, 2019 expiration date until December 31, 2025 for this incentive, which provides income tax credits to qualified investors who invest in high impact small businesses.
Increased Competitiveness of Job Development Credit Incentive
Agenda Item: Increase competitiveness and utility of job development credit program in response to modern employment and investment strategies.
- Support legislation that allows companies to benefit from job development credits for full-time jobs created for their projects, but employed by Professional Employment Agencies (PEOs)
- Support legislation that allows affiliated companies to aggregate investment in overall project costs and qualified expenditures.
Military Veterans in South Carolina’s Workforce
Agenda Item: Attraction of military veterans to join, and remain in, South Carolina’s workforce.
- Support efforts, including the creation of an exemption for military veterans from paying State income taxes on military retirement benefits, in order to attract military veterans to South Carolina to help fill labor shortfalls.
Agenda Item: Increased emphasis on workforce training through consistent funding source for ManuFirst SC Program.
- Support efforts to secure a consistent funding source for SC Department of Commerce’s ManuFirst SC program, which will serve as a as a gateway to manufacturing experience for those individuals who lack experience with an eye on more efficiently connecting existing industry partners to a pipeline of talented workers.
Abandoned Buildings Revitalization Act
Agenda Item: Extension of Abandoned Buildings Revitalization Act
- Support efforts to improve this Act’s effectiveness and, extend its expiration date beyond the current expiration date of December 31, 2021.
Agenda Item: Increased access to high-speed broadband internet access for rural South Carolina
- Support bills that provide more access to high-speed broadband Internet access for the rural areas in South Carolina, believing such access would provide more opportunity.
SCEDA Legislative Committee
- Andrena Powell-Baker, SCCED, Legislative Committee Co-Chair, Lockhart Power Company
- Tushar V. Chikhliker, Legislative Committee Co-Chair, Nexsen Pruet
- Richard Blackwell, SCCED, Agracel, Inc.
- Tiffany Harrison, Richland County Economic Development
- Brent Jonas, Charleston Regional Development Alliance
- Edward Kluiters, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough
- Philip Land, Haynsworth Sinkler Boyd, PA
- Kevin Landmesser, Greenville Area Development Corporation
- Emily Luther, Parker Poe Adams & Bernstein
- Cherry McCoy, Chesterfield County Economic Development Board
- Sandy Steele, SCCED, Southern Carolina Regional Alliance
- David Swenson, CEcD, York County Economic Development
- Brian Tucker, Georgetown County Economic Development
SCEDA Government Relations Team
Please contact SCEDA at (803) 929-0305 should you have any questions or comments.