- About SCEDA
- Public Policy
SCEDA will post economic development job opportunities on the website for a period of 30 days. Please email your job posting to email@example.com (text only, no graphics).
Lancaster County Department of Economic Development
Marketing and Communications Manager
The primary function of the position is to manage and support the department’s marketing and communications functions which includes managing websites and social media platforms, outreach to industry/site consultants/economic development partners, developing and executing print and digital media marketing campaigns, planning of marketing missions/trade shows and economic development events, branding initiatives, preparing research/data reports and presentations, raising a limited amount of private funds for marketing and other assigned duties.
The position is also responsible for a limited amount of administrative functions which include but are not limited to scheduling meetings, preparing agendas and minutes for various organizations (Economic Development Advisory Board, Lancaster Advanced Manufacturing Partnership and 2-SC Corporate Alliance), processing grants, and procuring and payment of goods and services for the department.
Position reports to the Executive Director.
Ideal candidates for the position will have:
· Strong organizational and public relations skills
· Initiative, creativity and be able to work with limited supervision
· Experience in using social media and print materials as an effective marketing and communication tool
· Prior experience with an economic development or chamber of commerce organization
· Effective verbal and written communication skills
· Managed internal and external brand building activities
· Familiarity with deploying cross-channel marketing campaigns
· Experience with raising funds for an organization
· A high level of integrity and ethics
· A proven record of building relationships with clients and partners
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Managing internal and external marketing activities
· Executing proactive public relations strategies and events
· Developing working relationships with local, regional and national media
· External and internal messaging for target industry sectors, existing businesses, and demographic and workforce trends
· Marketing support for business attraction and retention activities
· Measuring the return on investment for marketing related activities
· Designing marketing materials for digital and print campaigns
· Managing social media and web content, updating print materials and websites, automating marketing functions, and tracking web analytics
· Securing venues for department events and coordinating invites for regional and state partners, and elected officials
· Writing and disseminating press releases
· Preparing presentations for clients and community events
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, business, public administration, or related field
· Three years of experience in marketing and communications/public relations, including copy writing, public speaking, social media management, digital advertising and event planning
· Prior economic development or chamber of commerce employment highly desirable
· Three years of experience with design, marketing, and communications related software such as Adobe Creative Suite design programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Publisher), design software (canva), video editing programs (WeVideo, Typito) and website management
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills
· Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders
· Exceptional writing, speaking, listening and presentation skills
· An understanding of the economic development process, it’s fast pace and time demands of the field
· The ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities and projects, be proactive, take initiative and work independently at times
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
$40,000 - $45,000
Submit a cover letter and resume by mail or email to:
Lancaster County Department of Human Resources
P.O. Box 1809
Lancaster, South Carolina 29721
Position Open Until Filled
Town of Summerville, South Carolina
Job Applications may be obtained from the Summerville Town Hall at 200 S. Main St.
The Economic Development Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing the economic development programs for the Town with the goal of business retention, expansion and attraction; job growth and tax base expansion, as well as annexation efforts of both residential and commercial properties. These responsibilities involve considerable public contact with business owners and managers, developers and real estate brokers, Town staff and administration, Chamber of Commerce, County Economic Development departments, and other agencies and institutions focused on economic development advancement.
The Economic Development & Annexation Coordinator serves as the key point of contact for businesses locating or expanding in the Town; working with property owners in annexation; assists businesses in understanding and meeting requirements of applicable Town codes and development processes; and, provides information and guidance about economic development assistance and incentive programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Builds relationships with businesses through frequent visits, outreach and communication.
· Develops, recommends and implements Council approved strategies, policies, and programs supporting the Town’s overall economic development and annexation goals and objectives.
· Develops strategies for attracting and retaining businesses.
· Coordinates marketing and promotional activities to attract new economic development and investment.
· Assists property owners in annexation of both residential and commercial property.
· Serves as the key point of contact for businesses locating or expanding in the Town; assists businesses in understanding and meeting requirements of applicable Town codes and development processes; and provides information and guidance about economic development assistance and incentive programs.
· Assists in the negotiation and implementation of development agreements, including approved financing programs.
· Ensures the coordination, collaboration and consensus of development and redevelopment efforts by working closely with the Chamber of Commerce, the three Counties’ Economic Development Departments, and other organizations.
· Conducts regular reviews of Town business and development-related policies, regulations and fees to ensure a culture of business-friendly operations and the Town’s competitiveness in the marketplace. Recommends and assists in implementing changes to operations to reduce complexity.
· Develops and maintains positive relationships with Town staff, Town Council, members of advisory commissions and committees, business owners, property owners, developers, lending institutions, and related organizations.
· Conducts technical research, analyzes data, evaluates findings, identifies significant issues, determines options and develops staff recommendations.
· Must be self-motivated to pursue opportunities for the betterment of the Town.
· May be necessary to work extended hours to meet project deadlines and/or attend required meetings.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban Policy, Urban Planning, Economic Development, or closely related field, supplemented by three to five years’ experience in urban planning, land development, economic development, public administration; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Preferred qualifications include working knowledge of various financing programs allowable by South Carolina statutes and/or advanced degree in business, urban policy, public administration, economic development, or a related field; and/or nationally recognized certification in economic development.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Ability to be a “champion” for the Town by passionately articulating the opportunities, amenities and benefits of a business locating, or expanding, in the Town.
· Ability to guide business and developers through complex economic development programs and through development processes.
· Ability to analyze complex information and communicate it clearly and concisely to a wide variety of audiences.
· Ability and desire to actively market the economic development opportunities in order to attract, retain and grow business.
· Ability to work collaboratively and build consensus around economic development initiatives.
· Position requires a high degree of collaboration, coordination, and consultation with many individuals and resource entities to successfully complete a project.
· Desire to work towards establishing a vision for economic development in Summerville.
· Is cognizant of Town ordinances and policies, and Federal/State laws relating to economic development and annexation.
· Knowledgeable in economic development tools, including but not limited to, Tax Increment Financing (TIF), Tax Abatement, State Department of Employment and Economic Development programs, other grant organizations.
· Possess solid communication and presentation skills both orally and in writing.
· Knowledge of the laws, ordinances, standards, and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the position.
· Ability to use independent judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines including computers, copiers, calculators, etc. Must be able to exert a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.
All employees of the Town of Summerville are employed at-will and may quit or be terminated at any time and for any reason. Nothing in any of the Town of Summerville’s rules, policies, handbooks, procedures or other documents relating to employment creates any express or implied contract of employment. No past practices or procedures, whether oral or written, form any express or implied agreement to continue such practices or procedures. No promises or assurances, whether written or oral, which are contrary to or inconsistent with the limitations set forth in this paragraph create any contract of employment unless: 1) the terms are put in writing, 2) the document is labeled “contract,” 3) the document states the duration of employment, and 4) the document is signed by the mayor upon approval by council.
I acknowledge receipt of the Town of Summerville Classification Description Disclaimer AND UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS NOT A CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT.
Executive Vice President – Spartanburg Economic Futures Group
The Spartanburg Economic Futures Group, South Carolina’s premier economic development organization, is seeking a dynamic and proven professional with a holistic view of economic development to lead the county’s business recruitment and expansion efforts.
Unique to the Carolinas, the Southeast and beyond, the Spartanburg Economic Futures Group partners with the Spartanburg Convention & Visitors Bureau, Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce, OneSpartanburg and the Downtown Development Partnership in a collaborative approach to community, tourism and economic development. The five entities share space, administrative overhead and a collective vision of community prosperity.
Over the past five years through the support of public and private partners, Spartanburg County has recruited more than $5 billion in foreign and domestic investment which equates to nearly a quarter of South Carolina’s investment. Brands such as BMW, Amazon, Adidas, Milliken, Michelin, Toray, Keurig Dr. Pepper and Milliken call Spartanburg home. With an abundance of industrial product development on the horizon and a recently announced corporate recruitment plan, the county is poised for sustained and diversified economic momentum.
Spartanburg is served by two major interstates (I-85 and I-26), Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, Spartanburg Downtown Memorial Airport, the South Carolina Ports Authority’s Inland Port along with CSX and Norfolk Southern. Located between Charlotte and Atlanta, the area has direct access to major markets providing a distinct competitive advantage.
Spartanburg is home to seven institutions of higher education and consistently leads the state in K-12 education outcomes. Downtown Spartanburg has welcomed 63 businesses in 19 months and has built a reputation, recently noted by Food & Wine, as a “foodie destination.” Voters recently passed a penny referendum resulting in $224 million of downtown capital projects over the next four years. Leading the state in hotel product development, the entire county offers recreational amenities for tourists and residents alike. Additionally, the history of high-quality healthcare has been reinforced by recent accolades – the Spartanburg Medical Center (the second largest hospital in SC and the largest campus in the Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System) has been named the number one hospital in the Upstate four years straight by U.S. News and World Report.
A national search is underway to recruit the next Spartanburg Economic Futures Group leader. All interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to the attention of Allen Smith, President/CEO of the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce/Spartanburg Economic Futures Group at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Friday, April 5. A full job description is below.
Please contact Allen Smith with any questions.
Job Title: Executive Vice President – Spartanburg Economic Futures Group
Reports to: President & CEO – Spartanburg Economic Futures Group / Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce
Location: Spartanburg, SC
The Executive Vice President of the Economic Futures Group is the leader of Spartanburg County economic development activities and is responsible for overseeing the development and maintenance of a variety of relationships with public and private partners on a local, state, national and international scale. This position will motivate development by using a thorough knowledge of available resources throughout the county to attract and aid businesses, plan, organize and carry out complex specialized projects. The EVP works with the South Carolina Department of Commerce, County Council, various municipal administrators, private developers and regulators to assist in project completion success (recruitment and expansion). The position oversees daily operations of the Economic Futures Group staff. Additionally, due to Spartanburg’s collaborative model of community, economic and tourism development, the EVP of the EFG will also work closely with all in-house partners to lead a holistic approach to economic development.
Position Responsibilities – ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS TO BE PERFORMED INCLUDE (estimated monthly time %):
· Plan, organize and carry out complex specialized projects while working directly with new and existing prospects under complete confidentiality (35%)
· Develop and maintain relationships with national and international location consultants and real estate developers who are involved in locating operations (10%)
· Generate leads through a variety of platforms and partners (internally, local governments, Upstate Alliance and SC Department of Commerce) (10%)
· From talent/workforce development to other issues of concern, serve as a source for answers and a liaison to solutions (10%)
· Work directly, pro-actively and re-actively, with Spartanburg County Council, municipal leaders and in-house partners in all aspects of economic development as is appropriate (10%)
· Remain updated with industry trends and strategize accordingly (5%)
· Coordinate information and activities with various development allies, such as SC Department of Commerce, utility companies, local governments and consultants (5%)
· Drive community change by leading implementation of OneSpartanburg economic recommendations (5%)
· Oversee daily activities of the Economic Futures Group staff and serve as a senior leader of the overall organization (Chamber, EFG, CVB, DDP and OneSpartanburg collaborative) (2%)
· Assist CEO in budget preparation and strategy (2%)
· Oversee compilation and maintenance of timely information pertinent to industrial, distribution, corporate and large service provider projects (2%)
· Identify and catalog sites and available buildings for development; assist in the development of new product (2%)
· Additional duties as assigned (2%)
Essential Skills and Experience: PREFERRED REQUIREMENTS NECESSARY TO PERFORM THIS ROLE INCLUDE
· A minimum of five years working within an organization that develops pathways for companies to invest in communities, developing jobs and/or a chamber of commerce or economic development entity
· A bachelors, and related certification, in economic development or related field
· Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and presentation)
· Strong business acumen
· Proven track record of exceptional customer service
· Aptitude to work under pressure and within established deadlines
· Ability to work both independently and on diverse and dynamic teams
· Proficient using all MS office programs
· Ability to work nights and weekends to accommodate after hours meetings and events
· Ability to travel locally, regionally, nationally and internationally
Beneficial Skills and Experience: IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE THESE SKILLS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Six+ years of exemplary and diverse experience in economic development field
· Certified Economic Developer certification (IEDC)
· Previous progressive experience working with volunteer boards or non-profits
The Spartanburg Chamber is an EOE employer.